Department of Food Quality and Safety
Staff of Food Quality and Safety Department is involved in scientific investigations that are focused on:
- food quality and food safety,
- consumer preferences with regard to sensory and physiochemical characteristics of food,
- the role of plant materials in creation of health-related properties and quality of food,
- efficiency of natural antioxidants in lipid systems,
- shelf life of foodstuffs,
- photocatalytic processes in commodity science.
The program of teaching implemented by the Department of Food Quality and Safety comprises all the problems of food quality and safety. Classes are conducted in the form of the lectures supplemented by laboratory classes and workshops during which the students acquire practice skills.
The teaching program covers the areas of:
- food composition,
- properties of food ingredients (including food additives),
- quality of plant and animal origin food,
- methods of food quality assessment (including sensory analysis, chromatographic and physicochemical analysis),
- principles, technical, economical and environmental aspects of food production and preservation,
- shelf life of food,
- food design and development,
- food authenticity,
- food safety (including systems of food safety assurance, food safety risk analysis),
- food labelling,
- the issues related with wastes of food industry, their utilization and a possible environmental risk.
The classes are held at Bachelor, Engineer and Master levels, and also for PhD students, in Polish and in English (also as part of the projects e.g international project Product Quality Management. Central and Eastern Europe, funded by European Social Fund; Product & Process Management, co-funded by EEA and Norway Grants). The teaching program Quality Design of Food Products has been awarded in the international ranking Top 50 Eduniversal Best Master Ranking.
Professor of the PUEB
- Wojciech Zmudziński, Head of Department (the use of photocatalytic processes in commodity science, with particular emphasis on food safety and environmental protection)
- Urszula Samotyja (shelf life of foodstuffs, consumers’ criteria of food shelf life, activity of natural antioxidants in food lipids)
- Anna Dankowska (detection of food adulteration by means of fluorescence, UV-Vis and NIR spectroscopies combined with multivariate data analysis, food authenticity and adulteration )
- Iwona Jasińska-Kuligowska (oilseed cakes as a source of health-related compounds, phytoestrogens - properties and biological significance, the impact of technological processes and storage on bioactive components of food, quality of dietary supplements and oriental food)
- Dorota Klensporf-Pawlik (food quality; chromatographic methods in food quality assessment)
- Inga Klimczak (evaluation of the effect of plant extracts on the health-related properties of non-alcoholic beverages)
- Maria Sielicka-Różyńska (implementation of sensory and consumer methods in new food product development; an attempt to enrich the health-related value of food products)
- Karolina Doba
- Marta Szeliga
- Justyna Fliegner
- Agnieszka Kulas
Cooperation with industry and scientific institutions
Research area, highly-qualified and experienced staff as well as laboratory equipment allow the Department of Food Quality and Safety to cooperate in the following areas:
- physicochemical investigations of raw materials and food products,
- assessment of food quality,
- determination and verification of the shelf life of foodstuffs
- training, consultancy and expert opinions for FBOs in food quality, food safety and food labelling,
- training and consultancy in sensory analysis (e.g. initiation and training of assessors, preparation of samples, methodology, hedonic tests with consumers).